61+ years in Grizzly country, many L/O seasons alone far from quick rescue in event of injury, supered bush camps of 75 workers in forestry from the early 70s on to the early 90s and NEVER lost a bit of skin or a worker.

I totally agree with the above, from another experienced BC bush worker and I happen to prefer packing .338s, 9.3s and used to use .,375s, all with heavy for caliber Npts at fastest safe velocities in my handloads.,

I do this largely as MD does because they make me feel better. I have and would pack .30-06s and prefer 200 Npts.

Simple, the major issue is a good bullet, properly placed and learning to handle and shoot your particular rifle very well.

Would I carry a .308Win.......have and love it and with a 180 Npt at 2600+ and the light weight and low recoil, it is easy to shoot and perhaps the best option for those who cannot shoot a .338WM fast and well. Plus, packing a very light rifle may mean you have it with you when schidt happens where you may have left your 338 or 375 in your tent.

.404s, .458s and all that, had one and could shoot it, BUT, these are actually fantasy time for most hunters/bush workers.