Originally Posted by CRS
sooooooo, bullet diameter does make a difference?

Or does it just makes a difference on grizzly bears?

Pardon the sarcasm wink

There is a difference on deer between a 243 and 270 caliber (BTDT)
There is a difference on elk between 30 and 338 caliber (BTDT)
There is difference on buffalo between 375 and 416 caliber (in print from many PH's)
There is a difference between 9mm and 45's (plenty of lethality studies)

Phil Shoemaker carries a 458, and is a huge 30-06 advocate. Speaks volumes

JB, you state for grizzly protection you would carry a 30-06 with 200gr partitions, I would choose a 338-06 with 210gr as a minimum, or my 9.3x64 Brenneke, 375 H&H, or 404 J.

Bigger diameter hits harder, but dead is dead. If you want something that hits harder, choose a bigger diameter. Once again, simple physics.

All my experience with grizzly's has been in WY, ID, and Alaska. Never had any problems, some encounters. Was usually carrying my longbow as a primary weapon with bear spray or a 44 with 300gr hard cast bullets.

I spend many hours reading medical studies, therefore I am no stranger to scientific methods.

All my experience is subjective observations. Maybe I should have documented all my experiences, but even with detailed documention, there are too many uncontrolled variables with in the field "testing".

I certainly agree with you relating to bullet size, weight, and construction. The differences between bullet diameters or calibers, regardless of how minuscule the differences may be, still make a difference overall. It's a matter of physics, something that can't be exact by field testing, since every bullet shot does not go thought the same space and time, nor exact medium. That's why I rely on ballistics first. If bullet diameter would not make a difference we all would be shooting the same caliber for all hunting (there would not be a minimum gun caliber), and there is no gun out there that can tackle all types of game, from the smallest to the largest and most dangerous.

Last edited by Ray; 01/15/18.