My father was a history and economics professor in a small, Christian, liberal arts college. The school’s policy regarding employees was very helpful in that one of the benefits to their family members was free tuition. My sib’s eventually included two lawyers, a physician, and a pastor, not to mention myself who became a high school teacher and then went back and on to a carreer in Anesthesia and pain management. That includes two BS’s (please refrain), diplomas, a MS, doctoral work, and various credentials.

My father always said, having been in the Phillipines at age eighteen during WWII, and then in his twenties having completed a good part of his education under the GI Bill; having seen many college students flail away without goals while wasting good money other than the weekend beer and pizza, that all kids should do two years of national service after high school. Two years to grow up some, get some perspective and learn responsibility. Generally, that’s still a very good idea I think. When you do see a late twenty-year-old-something in college, they are usually focused and driven.

I’m still somewhat schizo- though regarding college and a good BS/BA degree in that it usually provides the student with some world perspective and experience a two-year, focused, trade school probably will not. However, the cost has gotten prohibitively expensive and many of the degrees are frivolous — I’m not sure of the answer to that problem other than serious individual discernment. I do believe we’ve collectively lost the ability to manufactor quality in this country and have become almost a completely service-oriented work force. That seems way out of balance.

I think there are many kinds of intellect, not all of which are measured accurately by our IQ tests, and some of which are most profitably fruitfall when focused on a specific trade or apprenticeship. The desire to continue learning is not dependent on a college degree.