Originally Posted by savage24
I dropped Intro Algebra in community college - TWICE.
On my second attempt I made it about 5 weeks into the course when we had an exam. One of the word questions on the exam was about Susie and her shopping trip - by the end of the word problem, Susie had written a couple of bad checks. The students who treated it as an algebra problem missed this question because apparently there is a rule in Algebra that if you subtract a negative number from a negative number, you get a positive number. Well, since I did not know anything about algebra I treated this question as the accounting problem that it was and answered it correctly. When the exams were graded, I failed miserably - missed almost everything but that word problem. When we discussed it, there was great wailing and gnashing of teeth from most of the class that missed it - they claimed it was at trick question - and there I sat thinking "trick question? Hell, it was the only question I understood. I'm outta here".

Technical Mathematics I & II was my other option to get the math credits to complete my degree and I found a very sympathetic instructor who got me through it.

I eventually finished an engineering degree (a lot of math , up to Calc III ) ,but I had a break from school and forgot how to do algebra. I was at the community college and went into the study room and watched vhs tapes to get me back up to speed on algebra when I returned to classes.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]