Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I guess I’m more trying to talk myself into or out of the 270 or 708 vs recoil and blast, over the 6.5CM. I’d love a 6.5 Swede, but I’d have to load that, for sure.

HH,

I'm actually a big fan of the 270, the Baby Magnum. Less recoil than it's sister, the 30-06. I've owned a few... pump, bolt, and semiautomatic... but certainly am not an authority on the 270.

I think it really boils down to how far you plan to shoot, and how much practice you are willing to endure to be proficient at that distance. Or how much practice you'd like to do from field positions, especially prone. I know dudes that shoot one round to check zero and then go hunt (but at very limited distances), but others who like to practice with 40 or more rounds from prone in one session.

I can tell you that I am far from recoil shy, but notice that something like a T3 in 270 gets obnoxious after 10 rounds from prone. And have seen some buddies throw in the towel well shy of two boxes of ammo with similar T3 and RAR rifles. Now, this is from field positions and we are doing other drills such as reading wind, etc. These dudes just gave up. They quit and refused to shoot another round. And that was just day one. Forget about shooting the next day. These relatively young, and fit dudes are done shooting, and we haven't even completed the learning activity.

I also think that catching the impact, or miss, is also important. Seems that this is less likely to occur with a light 270 than a similar 6.5mm Creedmoor or 7mm-08, but of course this depends on total rifle weight, load, etc. Just my observation.

That said, I think the 6.5 Creed in something like the RAR doesn't recoil too differently than a 7mm-08. The .308 seems to recoil noticeably more. Not in terms of pain. None are all that painful for one round while sighting in or actual hunting. Rather, it is the skill that it takes to mitigate recoil and hopefully catch the impact for longer shots. Also consider offhand shots at 100, seated at 200 to 300, etc.

I wouldn't rule out the .243 or 6mm Creedmoor. Just my thoughts. Good luck on finding the Grail!

Jason