Is there a verdict yet?

I'd take a .270 for a stalking type mountain rifle if I were a sheep or goat hunter and wanted the flattest possible trajectory for quick shots that I might not know the exact distance on.

The .308 with 168 TSX's in closer quarters for defense against being ate by a bear or stomped by a moose.
If I was more inclined to be hunting the larger species of big game, which I'm not, then I'd pick a 30-06. And for a secondary rifle(to the Swede or Creed or 243) that I might use on occasion if I was after a giant wild boar I might choose the 30-06, or a 45-70.

The 7-08 for a general purpose medium game rifle.

And the 6.5 Creedmoor if I wanted to spend a lot of time shooting just for fun, but still have an effective medium game rifle. For just one rifle that would get lots of range use, and double as my main hunting rifle, with a good selection of affordable and readily available factory ammo, I think this is hard to beat. But I have a pipsqueak 243 instead, which due to it's higher speed is a little on the loud side and I'd probably rather have a little more recoil and a little less blast.

Now if I wanted to reload a bunch, and have the capability for a little more velocity, and didn't mind possibly a bit heavier and longer gun to get it, then I'd rather have the 6.5x55.
But I'd probably want something a little classy for the Swede like a Sako Bavarian..... or on the slighty cheaper side, a CZ 550 FS even though I believe the Creedmoors more efficient case design makes it a better match for a 20.5" barreled rifle like this.

Last edited by DollarShort; 01/27/18.