Having been there done that, here's my suggestion: I'd buy the 300WSM and build it exactly how you want it, or how you are envisioning it. Kind of like the one I had:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You'll find the 300WSM recoils right between the 30-06 and 300WM, which is not bad and can be tolerated for a bench session and some field shooting. I probably wouldn't fire off more than 50 rounds per day, personally... That may just be me though... My biggest gripe with the 300WSM vs. the 30-06 is the amount of ammo you can stuff into the mag box. This may or may not bother you, but its likely going to be 3 vs. 5 when you are comparing similar rifles (lets say winchester model 70 CRF). The 300WSM cartridge is known for its "inherent" accuracy, but I've never had a bad shooting 06 either... I will say, either cartridge will get you past most sane hunting distances when the rifle is set up properly for long range shooting and still have plenty of horsepower to get into the vitals and cause DRT's. So the extra added power of the WSM is almost a moot point when comparing it to the grand ol 30-06. I'd also add, if you want to shoot your 300 wsm more, put it in a stock with a higher/parallel comb, like a brown precision. Or bansner, if you don't want to pay Brown's prices. That type of stock will mitigate recoil much better than the Mcmillan hunters compact:
[Linked Image]

I know a lot of us have been in your shoes and I would not sway a person one way or the other and say one is better than the other. That's something you will have to learn for yourself. And if you are like many of us here, that thought of "needing" that 300WSM, won't go away until you actually have one in your hands. Just be warned, if you started out on the 30-06 don't be surprised if you give the wsm a good honest try and then find out the 06 will do everything the wsm will do. But it will do it with less expense, more rounds in the magazine and less recoil. I still say buy the 300WSM and learn this on your own. Good luck with it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA