Originally Posted by beretzs
If you’re liking the 30-06 then I’d stick with it. With all of the great Bullets and powders available I’d be just fine with it set up to take 500 yard pokes. 180-200 Accubonds, 190 ABLRS, and similar slick Bullets in the 2700-2800 range will hammer Elk. The 300 WSM might be a smidge faster than the above, but not enough to matter. The Bullets yiu feed it mean more than the case most of the time.

Scotty, he may be like the rest of us and needs to find out for himself. One of my buddies started out on the 06 (like I did), when he was 12. Then decided to give the 308win a try (in 2009) and loves it. He says it kills just as good as the 30-06. His poor old sporterized 1903 just sits in the safe now. Then about 4-5 years ago, he says he wants to try a "magnum". He says he wants to keep it a 30 cal, since he's thinking about getting into reloading. My best suggestion at the time was 300WSM. He's still using that rifle and that's the one he takes to the range most of the time. It's a winchester extreme weather and he's had a rough time with the rifle. It used to be a copper fouling biotch, but now it's settled down to a sub moa shooter. He took a nice cow elk with it in Idaho last month and still thanks me for suggesting the 300WSM. I don't know if he's going to revert back (like some of us do) to the 30-06, now that he has his 308win and 300wsm????

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA