Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

How about, for starters, those who think that a Soviet style kangaroo court is appropriate for captured officers, soldiers, businessmen, because they were on the losing side of a war?

"The fact that the Nazi leaders are criminals has already been established. The task of the Tribunal is only to determine the measure of guilt of each particular person and mete out the necessary punishment -- the sentences."

- Major-General Iona Timofeevich Nikitchenko, Supreme Court of the Soviet Union, explaining the Soviet view of the proceedings, in typical Soviet jurisprudential fashion, before they even began.

Gotcha thanks for the clarification. There are an awful lot of things going on in this thread and what you were referencing wasn’t exactly clear.

Do you recognize that one can at the same time see the “trials” as illegitimate due to process while at the same time being less enthusiastic in dismissing the systematic elimination of a people group than you are?

One can also hold that the holocaust displayed a particukar sort of human depravity while acknowledging that the murderous rampage of the Nazis wasn’t the only one in the 20th century nor even the worst in terms of numbers dead.

Lately I’ve observed a lot fewer people willing to hold truths that oppose both “party lines” at the same time. People seem to be scrambling to “their corners” in a sort of intellectual tribalism rather than demonstrate intellectual honesty in stating that their side or their guy may have something wrong. Then we get involved in these ridiculous arguments about things that sidestep central issues like the freedom of speech & thought in this thread.

I agree w/ satx’s comments on the take-always for me concerning this Canadian lady’s predicament.

I like your perception. I totally agree with satx's comments.

jorgeI, we may or may not agree on some of these posts, but what you posted last..............................

The Nuremberg Tribunals proved the victors get to make the rules. PERIOD. No problems in trying (with compelling evidence) and executing those who took part in the exterminations etc, but the execution of the likes of Keitel, Jodl and even Goring (well, he committed suicide) fly in the face of logic, when for example Albert Speer (who RAN the overall camp/slave labor process) was spared and why? because the West needed him and others like him (Bayer, I.G Farben, Krupp, Porsche, etc) to rebuild Germany (west) and stave off the Soviets, a system we helped to perpetuate. And I'll add, the historical ignorance going on here is proof positive of the horrendous education system here in the US.

is right on.