Originally Posted by Bristoe
[
Well,....maybe,...but more French than Slavs welcomed the Germans. Many French were in the Waffen SS,...and during the occupation, the Germans lived among the French pretty much as locals.

The Germans who manned the outposts in Normandy regularly ate at French restaurants and dated the local women. More than a few of them fathered families with the French women.

WW2 wasn't as black and white as history would have you to believe.

In much of Europe it was very grey.

Easy to understand once you realize what was going on with the Bolsheviks next door in Russia.

The *aware* Europeans understood that it needed to be kept out of Europe.

Germany took a stand against it.

I'm sorry, but unless you quote a source, not buying more French welcomed the Germans than slavs. The French "lived" with the Germans under the occupation because the Germans were too busy with Russia to devote enough resources to cover the French and even then, when they got tired of the Resistance, the abolished Vichy France and moved in in force. The French "lived" with the Germans to survive. French hatred of the Germans and German disdain for the French (and everyone else save maybe the Brits) goes back a long time, at least to Napoleon. You are correct nothing is as black and white as most uniformed people believe, but the German occupation of Europe was brutal and is not "grey" but about as black and white as it gets

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”