Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Picked mine up Friday from FFL and mounted a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x36 scope in Talley lightweights (the machined Talleys purchased from Whittakers). Due to conflicts it will be a few days before I can shoot it.

My plan is to zero the rifle with Hornady American Whitetail 129 gr Interlocks factory loads, if they shoot well enough in the rifle. This will be a rifle for my daughter and law to use this fall and this ammo would be something we can find locally if needed. I will report the results with this ammo once I can get out and shoot.

Inquiring minds want to know so keep us updated with your range report.

Ok, got to the range yesterday and today and shot the Tikka T3x. The Hornady American Whitetail loads did not fair well, I was not able to get 3 shots within 2" of each other. I thought it may be an issue with the rifle bedding so last night I remove the barreled action from the stock and saw nothing that indicated a problem other than the front action screw seemed a little light on the torque compared to the rear screw. I cleaned the screws and re-installed with locktite to 35 in.lbs.

Return to the range today and the American Whitetail load still grouped poorly. Shot some Hornady Precision 143 gr. ELD-X factory loads and had nice groups of 1 1/8" for 5-shots at 100 yds. Next shot Federal Premium 140 gr Accubond factory loads and again had nice 1 1/4" 5-shot groups. The good thing was the 143 ELD-X and the 140 Accubond shot to the same point of impact. These results got me thinking that the 8 twist barrel just liked the heavy/long bullets but that my not be entirely true, Remington Core-lokts 140 gr ammo group about like the American Whitetail at around 2" + 5-shot groups.

Looks like the rifle just likes the good stuff.

Note, I am 66 years old with bad eyes so others could improve on the above I am sure.

Last edited by VaHunter; 04/14/18.