Mule Deer can explain the reasons better than I can, but published velocities for a cartridge can be all over the map.

It doesn’t take much to kill Carolina deer, so while I wouldn’t start with LC brass for a hunting load, it’s not a dealbreaker. The reduced capacity isn’t necessarily a problem, but it’s also not necessarily the cause of the higher velocity. The rifle could be responsible for much of that, so I have some questions:
  • How long is the barrel?
  • How long is the barrel? With some powders, this can make a big difference.
  • How much has the rifle been shot?
  • How do veolocities with other loads from this rifle compare to those loads in other rifles? Some rifles run faster than others. This may be one of them.
  • I didn’t see H4350 listed in any of 150-grain 30-06 data on the Barnes site. Did you work up to that load? If so, then did you notice anything odd along the way?

Since you’ve met your + 2,900 fps goal, there’s no need to go hotter. I’d start looking for accuracy from here.

Years ago, I ended up with a lot of decent milspec 30-06 brass. I got 100 pieces of new WW brass and worked up a hunting load in that, then got a good zero. I loaded the milsepc brass with cheap FMJs and a modest charge of something, focused on offhand shooting, and looked forward to Opening Day like it was Christmas.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.