Originally Posted by okie john
Mule Deer can explain the reasons better than I can, but published velocities for a cartridge can be all over the map.

It doesn’t take much to kill Carolina deer, so while I wouldn’t start with LC brass for a hunting load, it’s not a dealbreaker. The reduced capacity isn’t necessarily a problem, but it’s also not necessarily the cause of the higher velocity. The rifle could be responsible for much of that, so I have some questions:
  • How long is the barrel?
  • How long is the barrel? With some powders, this can make a big difference.
  • How much has the rifle been shot?
  • How do veolocities with other loads from this rifle compare to those loads in other rifles? Some rifles run faster than others. This may be one of them.
  • I didn’t see H4350 listed in any of 150-grain 30-06 data on the Barnes site. Did you work up to that load? If so, then did you notice anything odd along the way?

Since you’ve met your + 2,900 fps goal, there’s no need to go hotter. I’d start looking for accuracy from here.

Years ago, I ended up with a lot of decent milspec 30-06 brass. I got 100 pieces of new WW brass and worked up a hunting load in that, then got a good zero. I loaded the milsepc brass with cheap FMJs and a modest charge of something, focused on offhand shooting, and looked forward to Opening Day like it was Christmas.

Okie John

Barrel is 22 inches, Rifle is one of FN Herstal Belgium Masuers in 06. It still has a military barrel taper on the action and I guess it’s one the built commercial for export to the USA if I read the confusing Mauser history correct. It’s not a sporterized hack job. I got it late in the season so only ran some Corelocks through it and it grouped well. It was on Cabelas GL listed as unknown caliber. They gave me a deal at 4 bills so I put it in the rotation. Wood is good and I’ll post a picture later. It’s lightly used but no way to tell round count but bore looks good and it cleans good.

The LC is from the 5 gallon pales of it I have from past DCM/CMP matches when no one wanted it and for ten bucks you got a pale of once fired brass so I’m using what I have for a hunting load. Long shoot here will be 250yards max in a cut over and 80in the timber or power lines.

I used Hornadys medium load for 150s and the TTSX 150s. The H4350 is from my stock of 20 pounds (recovering match shooter that hoarded poweder) so I’m using it. I could use Varget as my go to Garand load was with Varget and have pounds of RL15 and 4831. I know there are better options and maybe better for my rifle but I’m just using up inventory and will try to get a load that works well in the rifle and my Pre64 M70 Supergrade whenever I feel the need to take it into the woods.

I also use the 150s TTSX in my 308 Ruger M77 RSI so again keeping it simple. The Ruger goes up in the trees with me when I climb and is sweet for that. It seams to like VV N540 but load development with the RSI is simple because it strings after the first two shots due to the wood and thin barrel.

I’m happy with the 2900 and was just surprised at how quickly I got there verses what’s published. As I stated earlier my experience is usually the other way, slower than book values.

Shot some more today and will start trying to dial it in bit more.

I have a couple thousand Lapua 170 g D46 bullets that came in a match gun deal and they shoot great but not the best hunting bullet as they punch a hole and keep going.

Thanks for the feedback and like the site since moving over from the Service Rifle and Match shooting community.