Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by memtb
[quote-Pharmseller]All he’s hunting is deer. Why the elk cartridge recommendations?

Well I guess that “if” you’ve only got one rifle, then likely will “only” have one caliber.....why not get one of the best “all around calibers” ?
Good for everything from “small” big game (even works on coyotes pretty effectively) up to and thru moose and bear.
Today, it’s only deer, tomorrow....? memtb

Why not .375H&H then?....cause it 'could' be elk tomorrow and cape buffalo a week later... whistle

Originally Posted by iviax
Originally Posted by vapodog

Normally, I'm a model 70 fan.....and still am....but this Howa is something to take notice of.....I recommend them highly.

But if you could only have one bolt action rifle, will you still choose howa?

If I could have only 'one' Id have no problem with a Howa.
If i wanted[not needed] to spend more on a push feed ...Id get a Borden action barrelled up!
and screw it to B&C stock just to rattle some mcMilan sycophants on the campfire... grin

chamber would be 7mm Mag....cause it.. 'recoils like 30/06 and hits like 300mag'...with ammo
just a cheap and available as the gay .270

You sir.....are indeed correct! I was narrow-minded and limited the OP to North America. Your suggestion is the reason I bought a .375H&H in the early ‘80’s. My “only” rifle caliber ever since.... though in ‘89 stepped up to a lightweight (relatively) .375 AI. Shoots as flat or flatter than the aforementioned.338 WM, and is good for Africa! 🙂
wink memtb

Last edited by memtb; 05/24/18.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024