Been reading this thread with more than just a passing interest, with the idea of at soon to be 74 and shooting shoulder problems from a related surgery 12 years ago that is beginning to be more than just a pain pill away from resolution...and going down the road to near total downsizing of all the CF rifles and settleing on a single caliber in a couple shooters to finish up with.

Some surprises recently have been discovered in what I can handle recoil wise, that I had always been able to handle with no concerns as I get back into trigger pulling regularly have been an unexpected unpleasant wake up call.

So, Belted Mags for me are a thing of the past and was almost given. Apparently Super Lite rifles are a thing of the past too...as a new T3 SLSwede shooting some old free to me PMC 140's to harvest brass from, popped me like a 6lb 7Rmg & flattened primers to the point that I pulled the rest of the free ammo's bullets and powder. The Tikka shot the ancient ammo into the expected tiny groups but my shoulder told me to "very carefull" from the "lil very sharp bite" that caught me by surprise enough to cause me to think mebbe I had after all these years really developed a torn rotator cuff, as I had been warned about after the surgery that left me with a "frozen shoulder" for a couple years. My M70 270 Sporter with some old max loaded 150's that always shot decently and last was used for zeroing a scope, caused me later to flinch for the 1st time I can remember on a game shot in 50 years of hunting with a 270. A 7lb 375 H&H Sako Fiberclass Carbine was last rifle to make me flinch in the mid '80's.The best surprise however was the new to me M70 XTR 7x57's lack of recoil using fresh Privi 140's to practice with & to harvest the brass from, and now what I'm planning on using this fall, but I hate to hunt with a collector quality rifle.

So what are 'yall's thoughts about the pros and cons of using either a 6.5 Swede, a 6.5 Creedmore....or a 7-08 for everything in Texas....as of right now I'm leaning towards the 7-08 for my last Do All Caliber that had always been the various 270's job, based on the experience with the M70 Fwt 7x57...and using rifles with a gross All Up Weight of the M70 Fwt. at about 7 1/2 - 7 3/4lbs+...OR ... just downloading the M70 270 Sporter to less than max recoil levels and burn up the plentiful on hand supplies as previously planned
Ron

Last edited by verhoositz; 07/15/18.

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.