Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by iviax
Guys, I currently don't own any bolt action rifle. And I have been thinking of getting one in the future. I can only afford one, a good one I assume. So what should I get?

I am not in the hunting game or long range shooting at the moment. But for the future, I might want a rifle that is able to do some of those activities.

I gathered some info online, people praised Winchester 70 pre 64, Remington 700 police or 5R, Steyr...
But I believe some of you have a lot more experience and would be able to point a direction for me.

Thanks!

I would wait until you decide what you are going to do before buying. As it is, with no real firm idea what you intend to use it for, whatever you choose is more likely to be wrong than right. If you were not stuck on just buying one, then I'd suggest something to practice with to gain familiarity so that when the time does come, you've got a good foundation. A good .223 or .308 bolt action might be a good choice because of the variety of ammo availability if you're not planning to reload. That's doesn't seem to be what you're asking, so my suggestion is to set aside money now to be spent when you have a more firm grasp on your actual need.

Tom

Yup.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.