As noted above, just because you can pull something with a smaller vehicle does not mean that you can stop it or turn it in an emergency. Typical case here in KY is long downgrade, lots of traffic, come around a bend, and suddenly everything in front of you is sitting at a standstill. At some point (under 7K lbs?) the trailer is not required to have trailer brakes, so, it is all on the tow vehicle to maintain control. Your tow vehicle either has the azz to manage the emergency case as well as the normal case, or, you're gonna have a sucky day...

I am going thru the same thought process as OP at the moment. Have had multiple 3/4 ton 4x4 Dodge diesels in the driveway over the years. Once Class 6. Almost all standard cab long bed. Considering getting either a Dodge or Ford, 4x4, half ton, short bed, nicely appointed with four full doors to have plenty of room for four full size guys. And enough chutzpah to handle under 7K lb loads without changing my underwear when traffic gets sporty. Two planned road trips per year. One to CO for elk. One to WKY for ducks. Otherwise people hauler, tool hauler for mission trips, and bad weather / backup commuter for work.

Worked for Toyota for 15 years. They make good vehicles. However, the current Dodge and Ford 4x4 1/2 ton trucks can be configured to get as good fuel economy as most of the Taco 4x4 trucks. And you have a full size truck. The full size Tundra trucks are nice. Had a chance to get one once as a company vehicle. But, passed specifically because of the fuel economy. So focusing on the full size, four door offerings from Dodge and Ford...

Just my dos colones...