Originally Posted by Windfall
The torque converter on an automatic helps a whole bunch too. "Ol Blue" was a cab and a half F-150 with the 5 liter (302) with a 5 speed manual and 3.5:1 rear end. It was totally worthless for low end torque and for pulling something.

Agreed. I had the same rig in dark red. 1995 model. Pulled a boat OK. Tried to pull a ~20' camper owned by dad's buddy once. I was in 3rd gear on the hills in ND. I have no idea how I would've gotten that thing up/over Bozeman pass if we'd actually gone elk hunting that fall.

I had an '05 F-150 w/5.4L and 4-spd auto and 3.73's. Tried to pull an empty 16' enclosed trailer into a 25+ MPH wind @ 75MPH on the Interstate once. Wouldn't do it even w/OD locked out, kept surging. Had to back down to 65 and kept OD locked out.

I will say that with reasonable loads at reasonable speeds both my '01 F-150 w/5.4L and '05 w/same were pretty fool-proof pullers and I can't say that I felt "under-trucked" with them. I don't think I ever pulled anything heavier than 6k-6500# with either of them though. Just lock out OD and go.

Last edited by horse1; 06/07/18.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.