My first deer rifle was a Savage 99 in 243. No accurate way to count the number of deer put down by myself and this rifle using the 100 gr Core-lokt bullets. Somewhere near 150 deer I'd wager. 2nd rifle was a 600 Mohawk in 243. Same bullets, same results. We were happy with minute-of-deer accuracy and rarely took shots over 250 yards.
I still have those two rifles (though the 600 is in my grandson's possession). And, I started reloading. For the two that I have now, I'm using the 90 gr Acubond and the 85 gr Partitions. They still kill deer. The 'new' rifle will put 4 in a group of less than a business card at 500 yards. Good enough for my needs.
As with any cartridge and hunting, if you put it in the right place (an argument for a different thread) it will do the job on any whitetail or mule deer in this country.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.