Originally Posted by DollarShort
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

How would a 105 RN would be better than the 80/85 Barnes, 95/100 Nosler or the 105 Hornady BTHP?

I'm not being a smart ass I'm just asking.

I've killed with RN, PSP and poly tipped bullets and I can tell no difference.

Not saying that I think it'd kill better, but maybe running it a bit slower might save a bit of meat? I doubt I'd use them with the rifle I have now as it has a preference for lighter bullets anyhow.

But my plan is to upgrade to a 9-ish twist rifle. And then I might want to do some sperimentin. Oh well, I'll be happy to just shoot the 100's and maybe that 105 BTHP.

I grew up hunting the woods of Michigan and if you're like me, probably 80% or more of my shots have been within 150yds and only 1 past 250. So in the woods, today's ultra-high BC's aren't any good to me (and probably quite a few others out there). The old tried and true round nose were killing deer and everything else that walked for a lot of years before we decided that solid coppers are the way to go, and I imagine the 30-30's and 35's still out there (not to mention my dad's favorite 348) will continue to fill the freezer for some years to come.

I like the idea of the initial impact from the larger frontal area creating shock. I also read an article a couple of years ago explaining how the RN bullets have more weight up front which helps to "pull" the bullet through the animal better. Not sure that this can be proven, but what is proven is that RN bullets for whatever reason just work.

I recently switched to a semi-round nose in my 300WM. I tried some Norma ammo in 165 oryx that shoots honest 1/4" groups at 100 and still holds 4" or better at 400. I haven't tried them on game yet but they are getting tested this fall on my Montana mule deer hunt.

My dad has killed a pile of deer with the 243 and core loct's while all 3 of my boys killed everything their 243's pointed at with 100gr partitions. So bottom line, find which one shoots best, put it in the right spot and you'll be fine.