I have a couple post-64's and generally speaking, I like them fine. The barrels are at least as good as Remingtons and may be more consistent. The trigger is not fully adjustable (no sear engagement adjustment) but is still a good trigger with some work. One of mine is a 1965 model and was an example of everything "experts hated about the new Model 70. Huge gap in the free-floated fore arm, cheap looking follower, negative aspect pressed checkering, generally a cheap looking rifle. This was torn apart and re-made into a prone rifle. MacMillan stock, Hart barrel, bushed bolt face and reduced firing pin diameter. It shoots very well and I doubt that I could have gotten any more out of a 700. The trigger pull is 1 1/4 pounds
The second was a short-actioned lightweight in 243. It went throught a few iterations and is presently another prone rifle with a laminated stock and Kreiger barrel. This one is not quite as good on the target but it's still pretty good and I like the rifle. I don't like the interrupted thread in the receiver and bothof these have been opened to 1 1/16x16; same as a Remington.
I like the Model 70's and like using them but, the truth is, if I want to build an accurate target rifle, I would likely choose a Remington 700 action or a clone. If I want something a little bit different though, I'm happy to use a Model 70.
The 1968 model features the anti-bind bolt and the checkering, while still pressed in, is at least positive aspect. The stock shape is also a bit nicer and the unsightly gap is gone. Sometime in the mid to late seventies, more changes were made and the stock now had machine-cut chekering, a black forend tip and was as good as any stock Winchester had made. The bottom of the receiver was fully machined. The next change was the introduction of the Featherweight with the new stock. This was, and is, a nice rifle.
The truth is, all of the rifles made in the seventies, while not works of art, were pretty decent rifles. Whether made by Winchester, Remington, Ruger, Marlin, or even Savage, they were good, functional rifles. Some were better than that. GD