Lots of hate here for the tundra...Yes it is a half ton, but it is one strong, reliably built half ton...I have a 2018 SR5 TRD DC 4X4 with 5.7 - tow rating 9800, 1600 payload. It has more than enough power for my tastes and I am coming from a 2016 ram 6.7....No it won't tow 7,8,9000 pounds like a deisel, but I tow a Jayco Octane 222 toyhauler that fully loaded with water, gas, gear, and razor is around 7700-8000 pounds and in the idaho mountains, my tundra tows this quite well and as fast as I want to go. I can take this load over a couple of our major mountain passes (banner summit, horseshoe bend hill, galena summit) at a constant 55-60 mph. My truck weighs 5700 pounds according to the door, so it does well in not letting the RV push it around either.

Just have to get use to towing in 3rd gear at a higher rpm when going over hills, but it does fine - tow haul mode really shines on these trucks. Now if I was towing more than i do - say 9-10+ thousand pounds, I would have a 3/4 ton truck.

Couple disclaimers - I tow my toyhauler - 6-8 times a year and not much towing in between so i don't have a need for a diesel and the tundra fills in nicely. Also, I did do a couple things to make the tundra a better tow vehichle - added rear bags with compressor so the back end is always level, added 33" BFG E range tires (factory michelins are too soft and spongy) and a 2" front level to keep the nose up.

All in all its a great truck that fits my needs to a tee. Comparing it to other 1/2 tons - when you do go to sell it or trade it in, it will have the highest resell as well.

Couple thoughts...