The Tundra compares very closely to a gas 3/4 ton. No it won't do what a diesel 3/4 ton will do. But the old school 5.7 V8 along with 4.30 gears does a pretty good job. It's not as fast when towing, but you'll get there.

And before you decide on the 3.5 turbo from Ford you better look hard. The engine will pull the weight, but Ford 1/2 tons set up to pull more than Tundra's are unicorns. They make a big deal about what their trucks CAN tow. They just don't make many that will do it. Ford, like Dodge and Chevy offer multiple engines, axle ratios, cab styles, trim levels, bed lengths and wheelbases. Most of them have gears in the 3.31 range and payloads so low that you overload the suspension long before you reach max towing weight. With Tundra you only get one wheelbase and 2 engines. And if you go with the 5.7 engine you get 4.30 gears, no other options. That combo will pull more than 90% of the 1/2 tons on the road made by Ford. Even with the 3.5 turbo engine.

And I have a Ford. I like it and It serves my needs. But there are lots of guys buying F-150's with the 3.5 turbo thinking they will tow 12000 lbs and are shocked to find that the one they bought will not pull much over 6000 lbs because the suspension wont' handle the tongue weight. Or because they bought one with 3.31 or 3.15 gears instead or 3.73's.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.