Obviously the OP is a bit shy of overall outdoor experience--really outdoors, I mean out of town and all....but it is ok, he can get some. You guys ever have the sun go down before you get back to camp? I think that is still allowed. Haven't checked the regulations book lately.

Last year, my BIL and I were stillhunting a new area in the UP. Had compass and GPS. A single lumber road was it for our 2hr scout timeframe and we started off it. Meet back in two hours. Right. My compass read exactly opposite of what it should and it took me a while before I pulled the GPS out. Hadn't eaten any mushrooms and it was clouded low with a storm blowing in, so figuring out the compass was lying like a politician and believing the GPS was not too difficult. But disconcerting. Got back, and showed BIL who had the exact make and sure enough gave North for my South. A first for me....but will check from now on.

BIL still bitched about me being late. He said there was no excuse.

I kept the damn thing and it still reads 180 degrees off even in iron free zones. Gonna give it to a democrat the first chance I get.

Defend the Constitution