Originally Posted by warmutt
A compass is flat out useless if you don't know how to use one. Its an extremely valuable tool if you learn how to use one. They don't weigh much, need batteries, or stop working when you loose satellites. With the knowledge of how to use a compass and an accurate map you can always know your location.

"Flat out useless" is true with compass or GPS. If you don't know how to use it. As pointed out, a compass has only one working part, the pivot. Unlike GPS with high-tech chit...

But compass is not exactly "always know your location". Not in my case. There is lost, Lost, and LOST!. A compass has sure prevented me in the first two from the last (sit down, build a fire - good luck in much of the Arctic - and wait for rescue!). For me, "lost" has become a comfort zone- I don't know where I am, but I know how to get out of there - with my compass!

"Lost", capital L- means I try a little creative navigation to get to "lost", or better. Once, maybe twice if time permits. Then if it doesn't work, it goes to "LOST". So far it hasn't.

And that advise....."Don't Panic"? Good advice. Excellent advice!!

When it starts worming up from the belly, easier said than done.

BTDT. If you haven't been there, you can't understand.

Last edited by las; 09/06/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.