I hunt a long valley up under the rim with a road and river below..Hard to get Lost lost, when you can always walk downhill for a mile or two and cut the road. Finding the quickest way back to your camp or downed elk is different. Early GPS's were a joke in the trees or during a snowstorm. Now they work pretty reliably. The nice thing about GPS is that you can follow the easiest terrain path, rather than being locked in to a bearing that might take you through blowdown, cliffs, swamps, etc. I have been disoriented in snowstorms and it is not fun. I vote for GPS now. Lithium ion batteries and dont turn it on until you need it. I mark my camp location when I start out, turn it off until I want to mark something else (a downed animal or a peculiar terrain location), then turn it off again. If I am unsure of the way home, I turn it on, take a fix, then turn it off again. Of course now, after hunting the same area for 10 years, I have most all the relevant waypoints stored and dont need to mark much except my animal. I also dont get disoriented much anymore, but there is always the next snowstorm lurking. Be aware.