Being "oriented" is a quickly disappearing art. If you don't believe me, take the phone away from a teenager and ask them to find an address.

I never go into the woods without a GPS, compass and relevant topo map. And, my GPS is set to the same datum as my topo (usually USGS quad). Once, I had to get to a supervisor in the GIS dept of a state government for someone to tell me what datum their online Dept of F&G maps used--like most phones, it ended up being WGS84. But, if you have navigated before with the wrong datum, you'll generally get religion quickly. Especially if it's night or with inclement weather. So, if you're picking a meetup point on a USGS map (e.g., NAD27 datum) and the other person is using a phone, there's likely already a built-in error. I see this all the time with everyone using onX cell phone maps.

I walk in the woods a lot after simply setting a bearing off my map. I periodically check my bearing and use handrails like roads or ridgelines in addition to "aiming off" so that I hit a known, well-established landmark (usually a road) then make my left or right turn. Allows me to see tons of new country while being low stress and idiot-proof.

Finally, if you're introducing a young person to the outdoors, teach them (or go to one of the many outstanding navigational courses out there, like at REI) how to navigate with a map & compass; both their enjoyment and self-reliance will go up commensurately.

Murphy was a grunt.