Originally Posted by Okanagan
Originally Posted by magtech
Why do people need a compass when the sun is up? ...am i missing something here.

Yes.

Is this a troll post to provoke? confused

As said, when you most need direction, you can't see the sun. Like others here, I've seen the sun disappear totally within minutes, with no warning, and not show again for days. That is extra bad 100 miles out in the endless forest and swamp plateaus of central BC and many other places. And a general heading south by clear sun may not be accurate enough when a 195 heading is critical to find a camp in the woods. Besides the basics I use a compass to find blood trails and down game across a canyon or swamp from me, as described in a post long ago. Have also used a compass to precisely stalk bedded game I have spotted.

I ain't keen on trusting my life to something that runs on batteries when I have a backup. Walking a heading by compass is easier for me than following a GPS screen, but maybe I don’t know the tricks of the device.

It sounds like a question by your typical soft, slender-fingered millenial who thinks that everything that's important in the world is contained in a dumb-dumb phone.