Had a pretty deer rifle - not as pretty as some shown in this thread, but very nice nevertheless. Ruger #1 with good wood, nickel or chrome plated (not sure which). IT was a .280 Rem that shot 140's into tiny groups.

Sold it because it was too pretty. Bought a more (for my needs) practical rifle instead - a Ruger Hawkeye synthetic/stainless, also in .280 Rem. No regrets.

The rifles that have the most value to me have the most history. Granddad's Remington Model 24 .22 short that Granddad used for small game, Grandma used to head-shoot the chickens and I grew up shooting as a kid. Dad's Browning B92 lever carbine in .44 Mag. My first centerfire, a blue/walnut Ruger M77 in 7mm RM, and my Ruger M77 .257 Roberts that quickly became - and has remained - my favorite. Both have taken a lot of big game, the 7mm RM since 1982 and the Roberts since 2004. Both are still among my most accurate rifles.

When it comes to giving some away, I think my daughters and (I hope) grandkids will think like I do and value history and practicality rather than frills. Pretty is nice to look at (and I do enjoy looking).

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.