Originally Posted by akpls
...I love this quote from Will Durant....... "Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice."

Amen to that! Down here in coastal British Columbia, we're constantly being told to prepare for the big one. Where I am (inland from Vancouver) the projected damage level is pegged at "moderate", whatever the heck that means. My house is about 10 years old so built to code at the time, but if I were doing it again I'd be asking the architect/engineers if there was anything they'd recommend beyond just the code requirements. I just replaced the pressure tank in my well house and the now have to strap it down so as better to resist falling over. Then there's the stuff I should have done years ago, lilke fastening the tops of the bookcases to the studs...

We've also had a couple of summer fire scares, and the interior of the province has had record wildfires and destruction. The recent destruction of Paradise CA reminded me that next spring I need to finish plumbing in the rooftop sprinklers. Several houses in Paradise that survived were so equipped. I have about 3500 gallons of water stored underground so could dampen down the area around the house pretty well. Also whole-house battery backup and 6kW diesel genny,

Basic life is getting scary....

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.