I'm not sure I'd buy the newer 2016+ Tacoma though. While I've not personally driven one I hear too many bad things about the new engine. I have a 2007 that has been great.

Everyone know that you take a beating on depreciation the first few years.

Many people ASSUME that they take a beating on depreciation the 1st few years. That is true of most cars and SUV's, but trucks hold their value much better. With trucks it is often a wash long term and you can come out better buying new.

Here is the mistake I see people make. They look at $50,000 stickers on new trucks and panic. They end up buying a 3-4 year old used truck for $25,000 and tell people they saved $25,000. The problem is that the $50,000 truck will actually sell for $40,000 and the $25,000 truck they bought used sold for $30,000-$32,000 new.

I have bought new trucks, driven them 10 years and 150,000 miles and gotten 1/2 my money back. The guy who buys if from me thinks he is getting a deal paying $12,000 for a truck I paid $24,000 for 10 years earlier. The problem is that I got 1/2 my money back, and he has the same amount of money in the truck that I had in it. And he gets to pay for all of the repairs.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.