I have the 2006 Tacoma base 4x4 Access Cab. Its been a pretty good truck for 10 years. The past year I drove 16 miles to work one way so a year is around 10k miles plus whatever I do. So all in all I do not rack up the miles. This is my second Tacoma...first one was a Tacoma truck pre Tacoma and 4 banger. This one is a 4.0 V6. I seriously thought about trading up but my truck is a little beater now and two months ago I got a new frame...so it should last for a while. I doubt they'd give me the money to justify a Tacoma that is paid off and running free lol. I have read about the 3.5L compared to the 4.0 motor and saw that the 4Runners have the 4.0 motor. Not sure why they have different motors...maybe the 4Runner is going to follow suit later on. I determined I will have more use in a truck than a 4Runner for work etc. I think its those Fawking EPA guys who regulate and require Toyota to increase MPG yet the MPG sem the same among the Tacoma and 4Runners? Obviously guys are running Tacoma up hills anyway so the 3.5 will work. I think there is a tune you can do (and pay) to get a little more power. I am did my reaesrch and seem those Tacoma owners are mightly proud of their vehicles so it is worthwhile to buy new and like me keep it for a LONG time. I looked at the new Tacomas and they have the cheap skid plate and the front bumper is like 1 FT pass the oil cooler...maybe a tad less. Regardless those 4Runner guys are bashing the Tacomas with their 3.5L...so that should give you some entertainment reading :-)