Originally Posted by shootsaswede
Corn fed whitetail beats any mule deer any time.

Not in my book. Some of the deer we harvest are what I call the corn fiends and they are so fatty it is a chore to quarter them. The heavy yellow fat and tallow does nothing to improve the flavor for me. We have shot both bucks and does that had a heavy layer of fat all over and the meat was marbleized with fat too. If all the outer and inner fat was removed then these deer were good for grilling or braising or any cooking method that rendered out most of this fat. This is why I don't like shooting does as they are more likely to be like this, this is unfortunate as I should be shooting five does to every buck I take on most of the ranches I hunt.

Other than culling wounded deer and a couple of south Texas bucks that had been eating Cenizo almost all of the deer I have shot have been excellent if cared for and processed correctly which includes removing as much fat as possible.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli