Angus,

I've had the same reaction to corn-fed Midwest whitetails so many people brag about: They taste bland.

A long-time friend, E. Donnall Thomas (who among other things is editor of TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTER magazine) says in his experience elk vary more in taste than just about any other big game, and Don has eaten big game around the world, including plenty of elk. We tend to agree. The least tasty we've ever gotten was a 1-1/2 year-old "heifer" I shot in late November in Montana. According to all the wisdom, she should have been very mild in flavor, but the meat had a definite hint of liver flavor. Dunno why, as she was dropped cleanly with one shot, and was field-dressed and cooled down promptly. Also once killed an average-sized 6x6 bull in early September that was even blander than corn-fed whitetail, and have eaten mature bulls taken in late October that had a definite musky flavor, though not like the occasional REALLY rutty mule deer buck.

The main factor, of course, is that wild animals aren't domestic animals, raised under pretty controlled conditions. As a result their flavor can vary considerably due to diet, locale and weather, time of year, and of course the rut.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck