I've had 4 .204s ... "ish".

The first was a late build 700 ADL just as they transitioned to the SPS. Accuracy was never better than 1.5 inches and 2.5 was more normal. At the same time I got a 14" barrel for my Contender. It was both inaccurate and produced the fireball from hell. I worked with both a while and abandoned the cartridge for 4-5 years.

3rd and 4th were semi-customs, PacNor 1-12" twist 3 L&G barrels. Sequential builds on the same action. The first rig was a 24" version of a 700 VSSF in an HS Precision stock, fluted, etc. It shot very well. At a certain point in a barrel's life, suddenly the round count between cleanings needed before bullets start to tumble or disintegrate on firing begins to drop far enough it interferes with a day's shooting. I hit that point and continued to use the gun with ever more frequent cleanings 'til it got to where I was having to pack an extra rifle to get through a day, then rebarreled again. The 2nd barrel is a factory sporter contour, fluted, and I moved the barreled action to a McMillan hunter's edge stock.

Funny thing, despite the change in contour and weight, after working up loads for the new barrel, I compared to what I shot in the older one ... exact match. I've never had that happen before.

I like .204. Lots.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...