OSU Sig: I agree with your comment on the 204 Ruger 100%!
Your comment: "I believe the 204 is the best prairie dog caliber out to 500 yards there is".
After having used this cartridge extensively for the last 14 years I have concluded that the 204 Ruger is THE best "all-around Varmint/predator cartridge" EVER made!
I have Hunted virtually every manner of Colony Varmint, predator, Varmint, small game and even wild Turkeys with the 204 and the cartridge leaves NOTHING to be desired.
Over the past 14 years I have bought and tested 8 (eight) Varmint Rifles in caliber 204 Ruger (some used most new!) and every one of them has been wonderfully accurate!
I still own all 8 of those 204's by the way - that is another testament to their accuracy!
I buy and sell a LOT of Rifles -but I never sell one that is especially accurate.
If you want an accurate, lethal, ultra low recoil, flat shooting, slow to warm a barrel caliber for shooting Prairie Dogs then (of course!) the 204 Ruger is the answer for you.
By the way your comment on the 204 and "500 yards" I would like to expand upon that briefly - 500 yards and under is the distance at which 99% of all Varmints and predators are shot at!
The 204 Ruger is NOT diminished by your 500 yard contention here!
IF.... I were starting out Varminting today (instead of 60 years ago!) THE 204 Ruger is the only caliber I would buy in a Varmint Rifle - instead of the myriad of cartridges and Rifle models I own now!
Don't let anyone denigrate the 204 Ruger to you - if you encounter someone doing so, you will know you have encountered a bullshitter!
Knowledge is power.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy