You do not have to depend upon a safety that may fail. Anything can fail. Close the bolt so that the lugs are not locked into the lug recesses. You can feel this spot if you close the bolt slowly. The bolt will remain in this position. The gun will not fire when you pull the trigger when the bolt is in this position. When you get ready to fire, simply close the bolt. It is easy and quiet. It is also very easy to tell when the bolt is in firing position by the position of the bolt handle. Much easier than trying to look and see if a safety is on or off. I picked this up from another forum. I have been trying that method this hunting season. It appears to be a safe way to hunt. The only issue I have is that I am afraid I will accidentally close the bolt an not realize it, so I am careful to keep an eye on it. The jury is still out as to whether or not this is the best way to go. Try it and see if you want something different. I do not trust a mechanical safety.

Also, I hunt alone. Not that I do not have friends and family that hunt. I simply prefer to hunt alone and be with friends and family around the fire afterwards.

Last edited by Gladesman; 01/09/19.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.