Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
This is a terrible thing, but for those who won't have a round chambered while hunting do you do the same thing with your shotguns while hunting?

Quite often, yes, I carry a shotgun with an empty chamber. Mine is an 870 pump and I've used it for doubles at the range. (Not very successfully, I might add, but the occasional success is addicting.) Picking up the second clay is actually more difficult for me than starting with an empty chamber an picking up the first.

There are lots of times when an empty chamber makes sense for a shotgun. Engaging doves might not be one of them. Laying in a ditch waiting for geese might be (and often has been).

Although we hunt empty chamber most of the time with our rifles, the key word is "most". There are times when having a loaded chamber makes more sense and we choose according to our judgement.

And, although I get no end of grief for it, I do the same with my carry weapon. Most of the time (probably 99.9%) it is unloaded in the chamber. If I lived in a different area my carry habits would adapt accordingly - ther are areas where a loaded chamber would be de rigor.

That's a little different answer than you gave the first time you answered this question a few pages back. Have you changed your thinking?

A wise man is frequently humbled.