Originally Posted by smokepole
You wouldn't catch me loafing at the edge of a meadow, stationary, without a round in the chamber during shooting hours. No need for an empty chamber when muzzle control is not an issue and an animal can show up unexpectedly.

Since I started elk hunting in '82 I've spent many hours overlooking a meadow or other area with an empty chamber. Can't think of a single time it has cost me an animal. For that matter, I've watched elk for hours on end with an empty chamber when they were a bit outside my comfort range. In one case from about 11AM to dusk, another from about 9AM to dusk, both resulting in a down elk. Another case we set up on a hillside, listening to the elk in a wooded draw below us. I hiked a mile back to the truck, drove an hour to town, had lunch, and returned to the site where I found Daughter #2 and her hubby sleeping. I joined them in a snooze for a couple hours and he bagged his elk just before dusk. Other cases not so long, some successful, some not, some alone, others with company. In every case, plenty of time to chamber a round and no missed shot opportunities. In yet another case, we were hunting with loaded chambers, as the elk were coming towards us through the trees. My hunting buddy had two misfires (cold/weak firing pin spring) before he bagged his elk. I didn't shoot mine until he was done, and even then I took my time, setting up on sticks and waiting for a full broadside opportunity. No rush at all. You do it your way, we'll do it ours, everyone wins.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.