Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by smokepole

That's a little different answer than you gave the first time you answered this question a few pages back. Have you changed your thinking?

Not at all.

What I said above was I rarely "hunt cold" with a shotgun. I differentiate between "hunting" and "travelling by foot", whether carrying a rifle or shotgun. The two may overlap or I may be doing one or the other, depending on the situation. I don't see any need to have a loaded chamber while laying in a ditch or blind waiting for ducks or geese to come in anymore than when hiking to or from the hunting spots. I'm also hesitant to call waiting time "hunting" time except in the broadest terms. Hunting mode kicks in for me when the ducks or geese are in sight, not when the skies are clear, and there is plenty of time to load the chamber then if conditions warrant.

In any case, I haven't hunted ducks or geese in many (15?) years. Doves are a different story - one in the chamber and safety on.

So, when you sit in a duck blind and you can't see birds flying, you don't consider yourself to be hunting, that's an interesting take on it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.