Speaking of the 6.5 CM, I have to agree with Adamjp that "there are equally effective products for those who choose to use them" at least for normal hunting and shooting ranges. My 6.5-06AI will do everything the 6.5CM will do downrange, regardless of range, and then some - but it is a custom rifle. So will other 6.5 cartridges, a .270 or .280 or 7mm RM and others. My .257 Roberts with +P loads comes pretty close.

For the average shooter, though, the 6.5 CM is rather unique - it is very well supported by firearms and ammo manufacturers, both firearms and ammo are easily affordable for most people and it was designed from the outset to be used with long, high B.C bullets for long range work. If I didn't already have a .257 Roberts and 6.5-06AI, a 6.5 CM would be in my safe.

It is a reality of life that some people can't stand the success of others or things that become popular. The 6.5CM did not become as popular as it has because of marketing, it became popular because it delivers excellent performance at extended ranges at an affordable price point - with low recoil. Midwayusa.com lists 50 ammo products for the 6.5CM, 19 for the .260 Rem, 17 for the 6.5x55 Swedish, 11 for the 6.5 Grendel, 8 for the 6.5-284 Norma and .264 Win Mag and it goes down from there. Anyone that wants to can get a 6.5 CM rifle for about $300. While I'm not a fad follower, I do respect things that work - and the 6.5 CM works.

Hornady marketed the product? Big whoop! I say "Good for them". They introduced a new product, let the world know about it and shooting enthusiasts and hunters around the world liked what the 6.5 CM provided. As others have pointed out, the 6.5 CM is now a standard cartridge and one against which, like the .30-06, others are judged.

Low recoil and great ballistics - what's not to like?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.