Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
The 7mm mag will out perform the .270.

I own a .270 (my wife's) and not a 7mm mag.

Either will work just fine

-Jake

My math must be all fu cked up. That doesn't add up. 1 "outperforms" the other when they both produce dead elk? How many times do we need to say this. It's all about the bullet, not the headstamp...

What doesn't add up? What I stated is not debateable. The 7mm mag will outperform the .270 across the board. That's just fact.

I've shot elk with a .45-70, but that doesn't mean it's in the same class as, or does the same things as, a .270 or 7mm mag. But it still resulted in a dead elk.

The question wasn't "which of these will kill an elk?" It was to compare the two. "Either will work just fine." Was my answer, and they will. And the 7mm mag will still have higher performing numbers than the .270. although I've never met an elk that would be able to tell the difference.

When comparing two options it should go without saying that we compare similar loads for each. Nobody is going to compare a 90 grain Speer TNT hollow point.270 with a 7mm mag loaded with 175gr eld-x's .

It's not only about the bullet. Or only about the headstamp. Everything plays a factor when the question is between multiple options.

Back to my original point.... Between the two.... It doesn't matter. Pick whichever makes you smile.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.