Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Well, since you already own, have tuned, and like the rifle (.270), the ballistic advantage of a 6.5 Creedmoor or 7RM is likely not the largest factor in your choice. Although the Creedmoor does recoil significantly less than the .270 wink

Jordan -

As you correctly surmised, there were a number of things considered when the .270 purchase was made. Daughter #1 has been using a .308 Win with a 130g TTSX (B.C. .35 claimed) at 3045fps chrono'd. Using the admittedly arbitrary values of 2000fps and 1500fpe as the yardstick, the primary goal was to give her extended reach with minimal recoil increase.

More or less in order of importance, where close or better counts:
1. Left handed
2. 2000fps, 1500fpe @ 600 yards
3. Recoil
4. Drift
5. Drop
6. Rifle make and model
7. Even money for her unwanted, right-handed .30-06
8. Factory hunting ammo availability and variety
9. Rifle availability

The M700 BDL fit those parameters very well. The fact that it was made in 1975 gave me some concern regarding barrel condition, but I needn't have worried - test loads with the 150g LRAB printed half MOA 3-shot groups with two powders, both using consecutive 0.5g powder increments. That's how I arrived at 2910fps - it was the middle load with H100V.

Agreed, the 6.5 Creed would recoil less. Her hubby has two - a heavy barrel M700 and (IIRC) a Ruger American Predator. Daughter will probably shoot them but they are, for her, wrong-handed.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/22/19. Reason: corrected numbering: 1,2,4... to 1,2,3...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.