Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by GF1
The .270 with 150 grain Nosler Partitions and the 7mm RM with 160 grain Partitions are so close in performance that the difference is hardly worth a discussion. A bore diameter difference of .007”, ballistic coefficients of .465 vs. .475, velocity difference of less than 100 fps. I too have killed elk and deer with both and honestly can’t see a difference in effect. The only big difference is the weight of the rifle; that’s why I no longer own a 7mm RM and own three .270s. But that’s just preference. You can easily work a 7mm RM into an 8 to 8 1/4# rifle, and there are lots of happy campers who use them. Angels dancing on the head of a pin.

If I want a significant step up in power, I reach for one of the 300s (my particular pet is a custom pre-war Model 70 in 300 Win Mag), shooting a slippery 200 grain bullet at 2950 fps. Increasingly, I’m doubting the extra power is necessary, but I’m just fond of the rifle and take it along anyhow.

Kind of funny that the difference in “power” between the .270 and 7RM isn’t worth discussing, but the .300 is a significant step up, despite that the same logic you just applied to the .270 vs 7RM also applies to the 7RM vs .300WM. The 7RM can launch a 195 EOL at 2875 fps; less than 100 fps difference between that and the .300/200gr, 5gr of bullet weight, and the BC favours the 195.

Your last sentence makes complete sense. Nothing wrong with personal preference!

PUBLISHED data barely has Remington's big 7 (big in name only mind you) pushing 175s at that speed let along 195s. Chronographing those published loads yields even less in my experience. I don't see the need to compare (likely) grossly over pressure 7 mag loads against the .270. I will agree with you though on the point that the 300s don't offer a big step up in power. I honestly believe that next big step up in power over the .264, .277s. and .284s are the .338s.

The 7RM is a fine round, but it won't do anything a 270 won't in the real world of big game hunting except bark louder, kick harder, and eat more powder. But nobody is going to change your mind.

The best advice on this thread is to work on locating elk, bullet selection and marksmanship.

This is the .30-06 .308 debate

GOD Bless America