Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
My question is why a few people are trying to get gun owners to abandon the NRA. Is it to weaken its effectiveness in Congress so more gun rights can be taken away?
No, I have abandoned the NRA because they (the LaPierre cabal) concentrate on fundraising first and legislating second, when lawsuits and court action should be primary. The reason they concentrate on legislation is because favorable court rulings would lessen the crisis and donations would dry up. The NRA inaction in the Heller and McDonald cases finished any support I had for the organization. I'm a life member, but they don't need to send me any more mail. Every time they call I tell them "call back when LaPierre is gone".

You are short-sighted and cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It takes a real money to keep an organization like that running. Pat85 said they took in $434 million in one year from just 5 million members. Do you realize that is less than $100 per member from all sources?

They have paid employees in every state. What do you think that costs? They spend how much on election advertising? What does it cost to produce and mail what must come to about 40 or 50 million magazines each year? What is the cost of operating the museum? Small minds ae overwhelmed by large numbers, you know.

Yes they don't always approach things the same way other organizations do. But the differences are well-considered based on how they appraise the battlefield. What did we win Heller by, one vote? NRA was afraid of the consequences if it went the other way. They use the courts when they see fit but they cautiously avoid cases with scary odds that could result in bad precedent that would be incredibly difficult to overcome.

Did they 'cave' on bump stocks or did they make a strategic withdrawal? Our president needed some cover. It was impossible to communicate the fine points of the good arguments against that action, especially with the MSM operating in lock step to drown out and overthrow the president. So we "caved" and let the BATF write some regulations with no basis in law that are highly likely to be tossed out by the courts - a strategic move.

Attacking the NRA right now is like deciding to re-caulk your lifeboat while you're floating in it. Get off your high horse and send them $100 dollars today. The paltry sum you paid for your life membership was spent years ago.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~