Originally Posted by moosemike
I couldn't agree more about the 225 Winchester. I've loosely been keeping an eye out for one.

Originally Posted by southtexas
+1 on the 225. My old M70 is a tack driver with 50gr TNT and Vmax. Even better with 63gr Sierras. But it throws 64gr Power Points into 4" groups. A new fast twist version would be fun.

The 225 would would occupy the area between the 223 and the 22-250. Give it a 1 in 9 twist barrel and a decent trigger. With modern bullets and powders, it would be a great cartridge. A lot depends on how it it loaded, but it would launch 60 gr. bullets about 200 fps faster than a 223. Maybe 100 or so fps slower than the 22-250, but at lower pressure - 56KPSI. With the trend toward homogeneous bullets, you could push a 62 gr. Barnes TSX around 3400 fps. I haven't tried them in mine yet, but will get around to it. There are more "in between" 224 bullets today than there were in the 1960s. 60+ grain bullets, made using the technology they found at the Roswell crash site. smile

Or heck, you could do something that might land you in 'the home'. Use traditional cup and core bullets like a 60 gr. VMax or 65 gr. Sierra GameKing.

The 225 could start a new dual purpose rifle war. That's good for paper and electronic magazine sales. Remember what they used to say about the 243? Is it a varmint or a deer cartridge?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]