Originally Posted by shaman
I ran a high fever a few years ago, and shortly after, my blood sugar started getting wonky. I was told to watch my diet and was given a low dose of Metformin.

Here's what's worked for me:

1) I cut out french fries and carbonated drinks. That got me down significantly.
2) I started eating regular meals, and especially cut out eating my dinner on the late side. The earlier I eat dinner, the better my morning readings got.
3) I stopped eating any sort of sweets, desserts, breakfast pastry, etc.
4) I eat nuts or jerky for a snack.
5) I try to eat low-carb alternatives. The local pizza place has a whole wheat crust option-- that sort of thing.

I'm staying in bounds pretty much solidly since.

Mirrors my finding about eating late. Just can't do it any more. I've cut way back on breads, spuds, rice, and I never did eat much sweets. I quit drinking pop. I only ever drank diet pop, but I cut that out too. I want to get these numbers evened out at this point. I wish I could "schedule" my meals more consistently, but with the nature of my work, I somewhat have to eat when I can. Lots of protein and salads. It helps that my wife is gluten free. She makes that gluten free pasta and that suff's just nasty. Not anything I want. We're working on it, and I look forward to seeing the dr. Friday for the next round of "tweaking."

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla