Been fighting it for several years. I started hiking the hills behind the house almost daily, some days doing 6 miles. No running, my knees won't take that. Just walking as fast as I could go without breaking into a trot. Lost close to 30 lbs over a couple years. A couple years ago I joined the local small gym, weather never keeps me from doing the work this way. Do a few of the weight machines, then on alternate days do 30 minutes on the treadmill or 20 on the eliptical. I set the tredmill at 3.5 mph, and raise the incline to 12 degrees. Once my heartrate hits 150(154 theoretical max for my age) I drop the incline 2 degrees. I'll raise or lower to keep the heartrate in the mid to upper 140s.
I've never taken anything but 1000mg Metformin ER once a day. My dr. gives me fits because I very seldom take my blood sugar, but I've never seen it high. Over the last several years the quarterly A1c has only once been above 7, that was before I started at the gym and right after Christmas and Thanksgiving on a year where the weather was keeping me from hiking the hills.
We went pheasant hunting last Saturday, according to the health app on my phone, I walked 13.2 miles through some heavy CRP grass. I was beat, but didn't think that was too bad for a 66 year old man.Kept up with a couple guys in their late 30s.