Pretty sure I want to buy one before next fall, but the more I research them the more confused I get. I've been driving 4X4 trucks and SUV's since 1976 and managed without one. When younger we'd get together and hit challenging trails just for fun. If someone got in trouble there was lots of help to pull you out. With a truck that would cost $40,000 to replace I don't play off road any more. Today that is what the $3000 ATV is for.

Today I'm more likely to be alone out hunting on a farm road or forest service road. Both can get bad in the right conditions. Last fall I slid into a ditch on a forest service road but was able to drive out after a few tries. Almost got stuck trying to turn around in deep snow on a forest service road too. Was on my own both times and feel a winch would be a good idea.

It's going on a 2014 F150 supercrew. The truck with a cap on it weighs 6000 lbs and normally isn't loaded heavy. Will a 9,000-10,000 lb winch be enough, or should I pay a bit more for 12,000 lbs? I don't plan to go out and bury it frame deep in mud holes playing around. Just to get out of a ditch or muddy spot on a farm road. I'd probably be more likely to use it to pull others out and using a winch has to be safer and easier on both vehicles than using a tow strap.

Is synthetic rope worth $150 more than steel cable? I'm leaning toward steel cable as being good enough for my uses.

It won't get a lot of hard use, maybe never be needed. But I want one that is dependable enough to know it will work if it is needed. A Warn will cost $600-$800 and I trust the brand. One dealer recommended Smitybilt as good enough for my uses and they would run $450-$600. And I have a couple of friends with the Harbor Freight 12,000 lb winches that swear by them. I have a 20% off coupon and could get the 12K winch for about $320.

The bigger question is how/where to mount it. I don't really want to put big bucks into an aftermarket bumper. I'm torn between behind the front bumper, or using a receiver hitch. The idea of being able to use it front or back and take it off when not needed is appealing. But there are negatives to that approach too. My truck has the 5.0 V8, so behind the bumper is an option. Not so with the 3.5 EB engines.

Looking for advice

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.