Lots of good advice here and I appreciate the voice of experience. But this is how I'm leaning for now based on what I've learned in the last week.

The only real advantage I can see of synthetic rope is the lighter weight which would be a plus for a winch moved around. I was leaning that way for a receiver mount used on both front and rear. But there are negatives. It costs more and doesn't last as long. It is more easily cut when in use. It is also is weakened by sunlight and heat. Both concerns here in GA. I know it is safer if it breaks, but steel cable has been used for years and if common sense is used shouldn't be a problem.

If I were pulling the trigger today I'd buy this and mount it behind the bumper. It is 78 lbs, but it wouldn't be moved.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/smittybilt-xrc-9-5k-waterproof-9500lb-winch-gen2-97495/_/R-DSBP-97495

And at that price, might well buy a 2nd one at a later time and mount it in a winch carrier that could be used in the rear receiver. The total cost of 2 with steel cable would cost about $100 more than 1 with synthetic rope. The 2nd one could also be used in the rear hitch of my older Tacoma and could be stored in the bed until needed. I have fiberglass caps on both.

The front receiver hitch mount has a lot of things that I like, but I'm afraid that on MY truck it would hang too low and protrude too far in front of the truck. The ones I see on 3/4 ton and larger trucks mount higher. And based on what I've read you need an extension to get the winch far enough away from the bumper in many trucks, mine included. I wouldn't leave it mounted there when driving. Just attach it when needed.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.